Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of School

It's hard to believe but, it's that time of year again!

The FIRST day of school!!!

This year is going to be a different year for me because I decided to stop working as a Certified Companion Aide and I took a job position at my DD McKenna's school working as a teacher's aide in 2nd grade. I will be working more full-time (than part-time) at about 35 hours a week while Kenna is in school. I have every holiday and teacher prep day off and I'm off during the summer. So it's the perfect job to work while Kenna's in school. I will miss a lot of my free time quilting so that will be a big adjustment. Here are a few pictures from the first day of school which was two days ago on Monday.

The child I help each day took this picture of me.

Kenna standing in front of her outside classroom door. (See my shadow? How funny!)

Kenna is our fourth child (9) and Natalie (24 and married) as seen in the sidebar pic is our oldest daughter. We also have a son (22) and another daughter (18) both of which are attending the local universities and moving into their apartments in a couple weeks once school starts. My husband and I are almost empty nesters or at least we've felt like it during this summer when all the kids were either gone at work or playing until all hours of the night. It was a lonely sad preview but, it sure was nice having more quiet time than usual. I did get some sewing done but it's never as much as you imagined you'd get done!!! Oh, WELL!! I'm happy and there's always tomorrow to sew too!

I snapped a quick photo as she sat down in her desk.
I'm sure she's thinking, "You're embarrassing me Mom!"

8 comments:

Di~ said...

McKenna is darling. You look good too! :)

Thimbleanna said...

That last picture is so cute -- she does look a bit like "Mom....what are you doing???" You guys are cuties -- how awesome that you can be at the same school all day long!

Nedra said...

There is always so much excitement with going back to school...new pencils, new clothes, etc. McKenna is a cutie!

Nedra said...

Ooops! I mean "Kenna" !

Kim Walus said...

That's okay! Her name is McKenna we just call her Kenna most of the time. Thanks for the comments. I love them!

Trisha said...

That is so great that you get to work at the same school your daughter goes to. Pretty perfect! I hope you enjoy your new position. And Kenna is so cute!

Jo-Anne said...

What good are we if we can't embarrass our kids a little?? :)

I am sure you will miss your free time but I just know that you will do be SO wonderful at your new job.

I can't wait to see your tumbler quilt...no pressure!! :)

P.S. I nominated you for a little award .... I know they can be a bit cheesy, but I really do love your blog!!

Nanette Merrill said...

She's a total doll as is all your family. You are very lucky to work where you can be with her at times. What a blessing. I work with 2 of my daughters at the same office and it is a pleasure to do that. I'm very blessed too. Being a working mom isn't easy all the time. It does make me budget my time but my husband complains I sew too much. He's right of course. I'm fairly selfish with my alone time. It helps me keep my life in order though. I hope you love your job as much as I love mine.