Friday, October 10, 2008

Pumpkin Tissue Holder Tutorial

(I painted this little WITCH years ago)

I thought I would share my latest little gift I'm making for some of the girls in the office that have October Birthdays. Believe it or not there's three of them! I started making just four (one for me too) and then I thought, well, SO and SO would like one and of course, my quilting buddies would like one, and maybe I should make one for my sister and as you can see the list just kept growing. I think I'm up to 15 little pumpkins I'm making.

This is a quick and simple little gift you can make for anyone. You could even make it out of lots of different fabric to personalize it. I've seen these little tissue cuties in a lot of different places.

Have fun making these little pumpkins.

To start off you will need what you see in the picture above.
  • 2 pieces pumpkin fabric cut @ 6" x 6 1/2"
  • 2 pieces fall stripe cut @ 2 1/2" x 6" for binding
  • 2 pieces green fabric cut @ 2 1/2" x 2 1/4" for leaf
  • 1 piece batting cut @ 2 1/2" x 2 1/4" for leaf
  • 1 piece brown ric rac cut @ 4" long for stem
  • Fold striped binding in half lengthwise, press.
  • Place pumpkin fabric with wrong sides together.
  • Using a 1/4" seam sew striped binding on each side.
  • Press binding so seams go outward.
  • Fold binding over toward back of center fabric.
  • Stitch in ditch making sure to catch underneath.
  • Here you will see the binding sewn in place.
  • Fold in half and mark center with two pins.
  • Place green fabric with wrong sides together.
  • Place batting in between the two green pieces.
  • Use a pencil to draw a leaf, then sew on pencil line.
  • Trim leaf just outside the line you've just sewn.
  • Center 4" piece of brown rick rack and green leaf.
  • Sew in place so it doesn't move.
  • Fold outside edges toward the center.
  • Pin in place, sew the short ends twice.
  • Finish off the edges with a serger/zigzag stitch.
  • Turn your pumpkin inside out and press.
  • Tack the leaf in place.
  • Fill with Kleenex Tissues.
Now it's ready to throw in your purse for
when you have the sniffles.

13 comments:

Nedra said...

Thanks for showing us how to make these! They are on my "to do " list.

erica e said...

what a clever idea!

Nata per sognare said...

Hi!
Wonderful idea. Many compliments
Angela

Trisha said...

Oh my gosh! Those are adorable! Love the Pumpkins Gone Wild fabric! I am going to have to try those.

Jo-Anne said...

That's just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. This is a must-do project! My VT ladies will be getting one of these! Thanks for the idea and instructions. :)

Nanette Merrill said...

What great little gifts! So cute. You are a thoughtful friend to make that for them. Such a great project.

Material Mary said...

I have to tell you this is one of the cutest things alive--the little pumpkin tissue holders. Thanks for sharing. They are soooo cute.
Mary

Thimbleanna said...

Very, very cute Kim! Thanks for the tutorial!

CJ said...

Thanks for the tutorial! These are just adorable. :)

Busy Little Quilter said...

I love these!!! They are so adorable! I wish I had seen them before now. :)

Do you have a Christmas tissue holder idea? These are just too cute. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda

Unknown said...

me gusta todo lo que haces te tengo en faboritos,
gracias por esplicas tanbien las cosas,
besos de un catalana

Alma_vcg said...

Wonderful idea!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Veronica said...

qué lindo trabajo, felicitciones por la creatividad!
vero