Friday, August 8, 2008

Baked Potato Soup


With all of the Klutz's at our house I needed to make some COMFORT food. Yum! Yummy! Yum! So, this is what I made . . . It's everyone's favorite soup so here it is my "Baked Potato Soup" recipe that a friend gave to me almost 10 years ago. Enjoy another low fat recipe. LOL! You can make it lower fat with 1% milk or 2% instead of whole milk and use lower fat sour cream. That should help!

Baked Potato Soup

Thick and creamy. Uses leftover potatoes.
Prep time: approx. 10 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 25 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 7 cups lowfat milk
  • 4 potatoes- baked, cooled, peeled, & cubed
  • 12 slices bacon- cooked, cut up into narrow slices or crumbled
  • 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tbsp garlic chopped (optional)
Directions:

In a soup kettle or dutch oven melt butter. Stir in flour. Heat and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add potatoes and onions. Brint to a boil, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, and stir until cheese is melted.

Serve the soup with a garnish of grated cheese, dollop of sour cream, bacon, and green onions if you like. My husband added asparagus to his soup and he said it was delicious!

5 comments:

TaraB said...

This is one of my favorite recipes!!! YUMMIE!

Nanette Merrill said...

This is what I'm making this weekend. Easy and yummy. I know its cooled down some here but the humidity makes it still feel pretty hot. I don't mind soup on a hot day though. In the crock pot it is great - it doesn't heat the house up with the oven. Thanks Kim.

Nedra said...

It's still 100 degrees here in St. George, but I'll keep this recipe on file for the winter. Thanks!

Arlette said...

Thank you for the recipe. This looks so delicious!
Aloha!

Thimbleanna said...

YUM!!! I LOVE potato soup -- thanks for sharing your recipe. And I hope all those sore feet are healing -- OWWWW!