Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hexagon Stars

I had a great time at the wedding in California but the heat nearly killed me. I still feel a little wiped out and tired but, I'm better today than I was yesterday. My friend Suzette picked me up at the Oakland airport and I spent Thursday night with her and her husband Jerry. When I arrived at their house Suzette showed me where I'd be staying and I instantly caught sight of the quilt folded up on the bed. Suzette told me that Jerry's Grandmother made it and she gave it to them.

She didn't know very much about it but, I told her that each hexagon had been carefully cut out and hand pieced together to form the star along with all of the other little pieces found in the block like the yellow six pointed stars and the green diamonds and triangles that connect all the pieces together. I also told her that the most common usage of the hexagon shape is used in a quilt commonly called "Grandmother's Flower Garden" I also told her I had never seen a hexagon quilt made like this before. I asked her if I could take pictures for my blog because I thought that all of you might be interested in seeing it. She was more than happy to let me take pictures and share them with you. I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I did.

I just loved the colors in this quilt!

What an AMAZING Quilt!

I love the detail on the stars. See the small green diamonds and triangles that frame each star and the six pointed gold star in the center of each block. It's pretty amazing, I think!

I love the pattern and the colors she used!
I know Nanette will LOVE this quilt~Right, Nanette?

A closer look at the details! It's all hand quilted too!

My friends Jerry and Suzette now have a greater appreciation for their Grandmother's quilt and the time and effort that went into making this wonderful HEIRLOOM Quilt!

18 comments:

Cathi said...

That is a wonderful example of a GFG quilt! How stunning!

Lily Boot said...

what a beauty! I've seen a few lovely hexagon quilts lately and they're almost inspiring me to try English paper piecing!

Nanette Merrill said...

You are SOOO right. I love it! When I opened your blog I said out loud "OH WOW". Its fabulous. I'm glad you explained the process to them so they will treasure this. Its a masterpiece!

Jeanne said...

It's beautiful! I love the hexagon stars and the green diamonds in them.
Thank you for sharing the photos of it.

Eileen said...

oooo.. thanks for sharing this beauty with us.. nice clear close-up pictures too. Fabulous!

Nedra said...

One of the first quilts I made was a Grandmother's Flower Garden. Made the whole thing by hand. I've even taught classes on them. But I've never seen one quite like the one you showed. So beautiful!

Unknown said...

What an interesting design and great use of color. This would be so great to hand piece using Inklingo where you print templates right on the fabric back!

Di~ said...

Wow Wee! awesome! I have a Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt on my Living Room wall that my Gramma pieced and my mom quilted! I have never wanted to attempt making those little babies, BUT a gal in quilt group said there is a new way with templates?! I'll have to send her to your post here!

Kim Walus said...

I had 9 wonderful comments that were posted and somehow they disapeared! I can't believe it! Has anyone ever had that happen to them? Just wondering!

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments on this quilt!

Kim Walus said...

This is bizarre! I had 9 wonderful comments and all but one comment disappeared! Has this happened to anyone else?

I left a similar comment to this one last night and it's not here either. What's the deal?

I did get your wonderful comments in my email account though so no worries!

Thanks everyone!

Kim Walus said...

everytime I leave a comment one of the one's that disappeared reappears! Try to figure that one out.

Kim Walus said...

This is funny! Another comment came back.

Kim Walus said...

Here it goes again, another comment came back

Kim Walus said...

I just have to do this another four times.

Kim Walus said...

another 3 times

Kim Walus said...

another 2 times

Kim Walus said...

another 1 time

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! What an awesome quilt! I've never seen one like it either -- what a lot of work. Thanks for sharing!