Saturday, October 25, 2008

Holiday SQUARED Quilt

I'm finally getting around to doing this post. I hope you all like it. This is a fun and happy Halloween quilt that I made a few years ago for my kitchen table but, right now I'm sharing it with the kids in the classroom I work in. I'm a teacher's aide in 2nd grade. It's a lot of fun and the kids like me as much as I like them. Everyday I take care of a special needs child (in a mainstream class) and when he doesn't need me, I help with the needs of the class. It's very rewarding!!!

You can use this pattern to make a quilt for every holiday like Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, 4th of July & Halloween, etc. This is a scan of the original pattern I made for one of my classes. You're welcome to use it for personal use. Please don't print the pattern to sell. Thanks and Enjoy!


You will need the following to make this quilt!

  • 1/4 yard cuts of 36 different holiday fabrics
  • 1/2 yard of contrasting fabric for small stop border
  • 3 1/2 yards for quilt backing
  • 2 yards 90" wide quilt batting
Cutting Instructions:
  • Cut a 2 1/2" strip and a 4 1/2" strip from each of the 36 fabrics.
Now take the 36 strips measuring @ 2 1/2" and sub-cut the following:
  • Cut two strips @ 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
  • Cut two strips @ 2 1/2" x 8 1/2"
The remaining fabric you will cut into 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares. You will you need 224 squares for the outside checkerboard border. (You will have to cut approximately 20+ squares from the leftover 4 1/2" strips to get the 224 squares you will need).

Now take the 36 strips measuring @ 4 1/2" and sub-cut the following:
  • Cut eight 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" square from each strip.
  • You will get 288 squares but will only use 36 squares, one of each print.

Note: You will now have 252 extra 4 1/2" squares to make a bonus quilt or use them to make a trick or treat bag. For example: Make a quilt with 8 rows of 6 squares in each. You would use 64 squares and the quilt would measure 48" x 64" before any borders. You could also make a nice table runner too.

Here's a close-up of the outside checkerboard border and the machine quilting.

9 comments:

Trisha said...

Adorable quilt! So nice of you to share it with your class. Great fabrics that really make this quilt fun!

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great idea to show off fun novelty fabrics like that. I love when I can fussy cut things and put them in the middle of blocks. Great quilt idea Kim.

CJ said...

SUCH a cute quilt!! Thanks for sharing the pattern with us. Maybe someday...

bingo~bonnie said...

oh this is such a cute quilt - as is your baby by the way :)

I just finished piecing a quilt otp like this that I called Nora's Happy Quilt. my cneters were 3.5 though - and like your instructions I found alternating the blocks helped with not having seams to match up. :)

I don't have any halloween colection... but maybe next year after they are on sale... I can pick up a few cuts ;)

Lori Holt said...

Very cut Kim! And timely after all of the new Halloween fabrics are now in the shops...looks fun to put together.
Lori

PTCRUZ said...

I would like to put a reference to your entry into a sewing club that we have in Spain. This blog has no profit is to share techniques, work, ... with all our friends, we also try to provide solutions, we promote work ...
Begoña I am and I'm the editor of the Friday, if you do not want to appear please let me know to remove the entry. You can do this on my blog (http://ptcruz-puntadaapuntada.blogspot.com) or in the "Club de Costura" (htt://clubdecostura.blogspot.com)
I can only say that a wonderful job that I loved.
Greetings

Kim Walus said...

PTCRUZ,

I'm okay with your referencing your group to this post. Thanks for asking. Enjoy!

Kim Walus

milainoa said...

Te felicito tu trabajo me parece fantastico, un saludo desde España...

Michelle said...

Hello Kim love the quilt, especially the colourful border. I recently picked up a Halloween layer cake and have been looking for a pattern appropriate for it. This looks great! If I calculate correctly, I could use a layer cake to create the block as I think I can get the the 4.5, 8.5 strips and the centre square from one layer cake piece? I would just have to add some more fabric to make all of the squares for the border and of course some more for the border, backing and binding. Are my calculations correct?
Thanks, Michelle