Monday, September 1, 2008

My Newest Obsession!!!

My deepest THANKS go to Anna from Thimbleanna for introducing me to my newest obsession. LOL! I think we could get into serious trouble if I lived close to you :) You know, I've always wanted to know how to make these little beauties and I even bought a necklace like this with miniature dried flowers a few years back.

You can read Anna's posts about it here and here. I spent a lot of time yesterday watching the video and going to other websites and blogs doing research. The video made by Michelle Johnson from Crafted by.us was very helpful. I don't know if you know this but here's the page of that lists the items you'll need to get start along with a few resources for a lot of the items she showed us on her tutorial video. The picture (above and to the right) is of the necklace that she makes on her video. Pretty Cute! Huh?!

The best sources that she gave for the items you'd need to get started soldering were Simply Swank and Volcano Arts. I liked Simply Swank because they sold everything you'd need to make a soldered Charm Necklace in a starter kit or a deluxe kit. Above is a picture of the deluxe kit. They have also put out a BOOK and a DVD that you can purchase as part of the kit (as seen below). On their website you can also look at their different galleries of things they've made.

I think I'm hooked!!! Real Bad! I'll have to wait for a good excuse to get it though, like my BIRTHDAY, which is coming up in a few months. Yippee!! I can hardly wait to get started!

Here's the book!

And here's the DVD!

Volcano Arts (go to page and then scroll down to product) is a great source for 5/16" Wavy Copper Foil Tape and at $16.00 for 36 yards that was a DEAL compared to Simply Swanks 5/16" Wavy Copper Foil Tape at $4.49 for 5 yards. I'll let you do the math. Volcano Arts also had the glass cutter she used along with pre-cut glass shapes.

Have FUN making Soldered Charms!

I'll upload pictures when I get around to making them. It'll probably be before Christmas this year.

4 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

NOOOO! I can't get started on a new project!
These are so cute!!!!
Maybe I will just TRY it....but I WONT buy all that fun stuff....NO I wont!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Wow Kim, this is really cute and looks so fun. I can't wait to see what you make. I could easily see myself getting into this. But for now I'll live through you.

Thimbleanna said...

Ha! It's addictive, isn't it??? Thanks for all the info you posted. I need one of those glass cutters -- I knew I'd seen one but couldn't remember where. I need to get better equipment, 'cause I'm definitely hooked. I wish I'd seen that video when I first started so I would have known what to buy and what not to buy! Can't wait to see what you make!

Nanette Merrill said...

I've been thinking about these Kim. I know I don't have time/desire to make them. But I'd like to give some as Christmas gifts with tiny quilt blocks inside or just little fussy cut pieces of my favorite fabrics.

So when you get to making them, let me know if you are making any for other people to buy. I'd like to order some for Christmas but I want to customize what is inside - does that make sense?

I know you are just as busy as me. Just something to think about.