Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Schnibbling We'll Go. . .

Last month my friend Diana and I joined a group of Schnibbling Ladies at Thimbles and Threads. Our group meets monthly. I've seen all the schnibble inspiration around blog land for quite a while now so I thought I'd finally get in on the FUN.

I had good intentions on getting my quilt done this last month but it's summer and it's been filled with fun and other important deadlines. I though I'd have time to finish it up before class last night but we're leaving for Oregon this morning and I was doing housework, laundry, and packing for our trip.

I decided to use Lizzy House by Anna Griffith for Baum Textiles. I also added in a few other great fabrics for a total of 21 prints. I fell in love with this fabric. It's just so cute and happy!

Here are a few pictures of my progress. . .






For those of you who don't know what Schnibble quilts are you can find out more about them by checking out this BOOK by Carrie Nelson. Carrie also has an assortment of individual patterns for small quilts using 5" and 10" squares. You can also visit the official website HERE.

Schnibble: noun - A scrap of fabric; a leftover bit of cloth; a small piece. The word has a German origin and is found primarily in German settlements in the Midwest.

From the Dictionary of American Regional English published by the Harvard University Press


Now on to the Schnibble's Parade. . .

Here's my friend Diana with her Schnibbles Roundabout Quilt.












This cute gal above made these darling pin cushions and yoyo bracelet.
She belongs to the YoYo Mama's group at Material Girls.


I love this Schnibbles pincushion made out of an assortment of Christmas Fabric.


When I get back from Our Family Reunion I will have plenty of pictures to share with all of you. Also, when I get back I will have just a week left of summer before school starts on the 25th of August so I will be spending my last big bulk of time sewing, quilting, and creating. I have a few things up my sleeve.

While I'm gone I will have limited access to a computer so I probably won't be blogging until I get back but, don't be surprised if I drop in and leave comments here and there. I love trying to keep up with everyone. Keep Keeping On!!!

21 comments:

Jenny said...

I love your choice of fabrics. Not sure what a schnibble is though...:-)

Thimbleanna said...

Schnibbles -- they're everywhere! I love your fabric choices Kim -- it's going to be so fresh and pretty. I must admit, I don't quite understand all the schnibbles I see everywhere, but they sure are cute!

Betsy said...

Schnibbles are every where and yet I have not made any yet.
Maybe one day. Everything looks great and the pin cushion is just adorable.

Cindy said...

Kim, as much as I admired all the Schnibbles, I have to say my favorite two photos were the YoYo Pincushions and bracelet and then the Scnibble's Tuffet pincushion with hte YoYo and Santa face. Too, too cute.

Carla said...

the polka dot fabric you are using is simply darling. All the quilts are so pretty!

Sherri said...

What a great Schnibbles parade! I can't wait to see the one you're making!

Mama Pea said...

Great quilts. I have that book, and I want to make everything in it. I don't know where to start! The one your making looks great. I love your fabrics.

Needled Mom said...

I love all of the wonderful Schnibbles and the pincushions are just great.

Nanette Merrill said...

I want to schnibble too. Love the quilts. Love the Lizzy Heart fabric. So so cute.

Carin said...

Everyone's quilts turned out lovely!
I really like your fabric choices I can't wait to see it all done up. Have fun in Oregon!

Mrs Quilty said...

Those layouts of your squares for your quilt are beautiful! love the colors! All those quilts are also beautiful, everyone individual. Love that!

Micki said...

All the Schnibbles quilts are wonderful! Yours is so pretty!
Micki

Karen said...

Such a cute post - it's fun seeing all the different color ways all together. I haven't seen the book yet, I need to get going!!

Millie said...

Beautiful quilts...thanks for a great show and tell.

Gigi's Thimble said...

Oh I love all of those pictures. All of the quilts are so beautiful! I have one Schnibble's pattern (Hot Cross Buns) which I was trying to triple the size of and haven't worked on it for months. Thanks for inspiring me to get a move on!

Have a great time at your reunion!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the parade! I, too, have been taken in by the Schnibbles! I purchased that book at Fabric Depot in Portland while up there for the Sisters show.

Have a great time at your Family Reunion!

...Karen

Karen said...

What a nice parade of Schnibbles for our viewing pleasure! A good variety and looks like it was a fun time.

Deb C. said...

I am being sucked into all this Schnibbles mania. Oooh, that sounds good...Schnibbles Mania...
I just started one and I think I've figured out where you're going with yours that you're making with your Lizzy House fabric. That looks so awesome all cut up and laid out. If I only could have my sewing machine at work, I'd be all set :D

Liz said...

I haven't seen these yet! Very cute.

By Hoki Quilts said...

I've just bought the 'Times Two" book and am itching to start but my guilt is getting the better of me and I need to finish at least one UFO first, : ((
Thanks for keeping me motivated
hugs - Miche'le

Katie said...

I think I may have to check out one of those books. Those are beautiful projects