Monday, August 23, 2010

Fabric World

On Monday of last week we drove up to the Portland area hoping to see Jodi of Pleasant Home and to visit a few Universities for my daughter's graduate school. Because of unforseen circumstances we were unable to meet up but she recommended that I go here but they are closed on Mondays so we ended up at Fabric World instead.

Before you scroll down to look at the pictures let me just explain how we found ourselves at Fabric World. I've never been in the Portland area before so I was anxious to find a quilt shop to visit and since I couldn't visit the one Jodi recommended and I couldn't get a hold of Jodi to get another recommendation I turned to our car's fancy GPS system. It had a list of sewing/fabric stores that you could scroll through based on distance. The title of the store and the proximity of the shop to where we were headed helped us decide on FABRIC WORLD.

Sounded good. . .Right? Wrong!!!

It was definitely NOT what I was hoping for. . . but we had fun anyway and found a few treasures while we were there.



I wasn't totally disappointed but with all of the quilt shops I could have visited I had to laugh when I walked in and saw the place. It felt more like a thrift store than a quilt shop. They even had clothing, shoes, notions, and other assorted Knic Knacs.





There was even some VINTAGE clothing there.
I thought these pants might look snazzy on my husband.
Maybe he meant them for me. lol.


My daughters found these matching dresses with added trim on the blue one.


These are the old metal zippers that I bought to make Kenna a few zipper flowers. Click on the picture to see the great price I paid for them.


I also bought these cute RED snaps.
I couldn't resist them!


We will all remember Fabric World and the fun we had looking around for something to buy.

12 comments:

CJ said...

Maybe you should have gone to Fabric Depot or a Mill End store that is supposed to be in that area. I am hoping we have an excuse to drive into Portland when we are in Cannon Beach next week. I didn't have the guts to drive there alone when I was in Cannon Beach in July.

Betsy said...

sounds like you made the bet of it anyway Kim. You always find the best in things.

Patty said...

well that is a very interesting store a little bit for every discriminating shopper.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

At least you made the best out of a bad situation. I know you were disappointed. Especially with all the awesome shops in the area. The link wouldn't work to show the shop you were going to, so I don't know which one that was. Love & blessings from NC!

Gene Black said...

On the link - there is an h missing right at the beginning. it should be
http://www.hollyhillquiltshoppe.com/index.html

Diane said...

Fabric Depot is the place to go in Portland - or at least it used to be. How funny.

Of course there's Powell's Books, for finding any book you can imagine. I love that place.

Gigi's Thimble said...

Hi Kim. I kind of have to smile at this experience because I grew up right outside of Portland in Vancouver, WA. I was just there a few weeks ago and was wondering how they survive with no quilt shops!?! (I wish I would have known about the one that Jodi recommends!) We did go to "Craft Warehouse" that had a decent amount of Moda fabrics so we were able to get what we needed. Glad you were able to make it a fun experience anyways! Love the matching dresses your daughters found!

quiltingnana said...

did you ever watch the tv show, American Pickers?....sounds like that's what you did at the store!

AnnieO said...

Portland is a very big place, isn't it? No wonder you turned to your GPS. That was a fun adventure--the looks on the girls' faces is priceless. It is always amusing to make fun of bad clothing.

Lori Holt said...

Well....something must be totally wrong with me because that is just the kind of place that I would have sought out while on vacation....it looks like a great place for treasure hunting to me!

Nanette Merrill said...

Yikes, fun not fun. Sorta. The snaps are really cute. Weird how different areas view fabric.

Retrogirl said...

I saw the post pic and thought...mmmm that must be fabric utopia. Not so much. How disappointing for you!