Saturday, March 7, 2009

Quilt Retreat Part 3

Today, I will be featuring Valerie Marsh.

Valerie is a wonderful local quilter and I loved every one of her quilts. Of all of the ladies who brought quilts to show I felt the most inspired by hers. We have similar taste in color and design.

One of the interesting things she shared with us is how she came to quilt for a famous quilt designer. Here's the story in a nutshell: Joanna Figueroa, the owner and designer of Fig Tree Quilts was asking for quilters to sew and quilt some of her designs and Valerie decided to answer the call. She submitted her work and the rest is history. She showed us some of the quilts she's made for herself and for Fig Tree quilts along with the patterns. It was great seeing her name on the patterns as the person who made the quilt.

Valerie is showing us some of the more recent Fig Tree Quilt Patterns that she's made for the designer.

Valerie made this quilt using the new Moda line called Patisserie and you can read about the new fabric line on Joanne's blog at Fresh Figs.

This is the quilt that Valerie taught at the quilt retreat.
It's called Square Dance.


Lots of appliqued circles.


I love this applique quilt and the next two quilts. The lighting in the conference room doesn't do them justice. They are stunning quilts and the workmanship is out of this world. Click on the pictures to get a closer look.


One of my favorites of the show!
I need to make this one some day!

This is one of my favorite Buggy Barn quilts and now that I've seen it I'm reminded that I wanted to make it. I definitely have a never ending list of quilts I'd like to make and after the quilt retreat and seeing all of the trunk shows my list is even longer now!!!


I love love love this log cabin quilt.

I loved the RED quilt.
I know a lot of us quilters love our RED!

This quilt is a quilt as you go quilt and when you're done the quilt is ready for binding. I've never done one of these so I can't help you at all. Sorry! I'd like to know myself, but I don't have the time right now. I'm just going to appreciate the quilt.

I hope you enjoyed Valerie's Trunk Show. Wasn't it awesome?

6 comments:

Barb said...

Thanks for showing the quilts, I have a special fondness for the applique ones.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely quilts!!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

TexasQuilter said...

I absolutely love all the quilts. I am in love with the one in the 4th picture. (kinda scrappy) Do you remember what pattern designer that pattern was from.

Thanks

Pat
drummers2@yahoo.com

Pat said...

You sure picked some great quilts to show us. I enjoyed all of them and would be hard-pressed to choose a favorite!

Cindy said...

So enjoy seeing the photos. Thanks for sharing such wonderful quilts, Kim.

Days and colors said...

Such beautiful quilts, I just don't tire looking at them! Thanks, they are so inspiring!