Thursday, March 17, 2011

Leprechaun Traps

Did you miss me? I missed me too. lol. I will have to explain later but right now I want to say Happy St. Patrick's Day and share with you a few pictures I took today at school. The 1st graders have been working at home on their Leprechaun traps and yesterday they all brought them to school to see if they could catch a few of them during the night last night. They all came to school really excited to see if any of them had caught a Leprechaun. Some of the kids thought they had seen glimpses of Leprechauns during the week and a few kids even found a few notes in the classroom from the Leprechaun. It's been fun watching their excitement grow as we learned about Leprechauns these past couple weeks.

This first trap was made by the student I shadow. He told me that the Leprechaun climbed up the ladder to propose to the girl Leprechaun and when he stepped off the ladder he would fall into the trap. If you see the open area on top of the box, that's the viewing area where you can look in and see the Leprechaun. I thought it was a very clever trap and it made me smile and giggle as he told me how his trap worked. Very Cute!!


When the Leprechaun climbs up the ladder and stops off to get the gold he falls through the slit in the top of the hat. The slit is camouflaged by the gold coins.


I love how this one is decorated with a double rainbow and it's own little pot of gold that hides a trap door that drops him into the fake hillside below the pot.


The Leprechaun climbs the ladder even though there are warning signs telling him to stay off the ladder. lol. Of course, he falls in when he steps off the ladder.


Another trap door. Watch out!!!


This trap has a door that triggers shut when the Leprechaun steps over the threshold.


The lid of this trap falls on the Leprechaun and traps him inside the box.


When the Leprechaun reaches for the gold dangling from the string he falls into the pit. The other trap is camouflaged by glitter and gold strewn about the VERY sticky paper and traps the Leprechaun when he makes his move toward the pot of gold.


I love the instructions on the sign that says. . .
"Go up the ladder and you will see gold. Trust me. I NEVER LIE!!! lol.


Here is a sampling of the Green Treats that each of the kids brought to the St. Patrick's Day Celebration. Lots of sugar, some grapes, and there was even broccoli, although I don't see it on this particular plate, hehehe. I thought the apple juice was a great idea, too!!


I hope you enjoyed our little tribute to St. Patrick's Day.

20 comments:

Q said...

Well I definitely missed you (I know... you literally have no idea who I am, but I did miss you... ) FYI I'm a fan who has recently made your Plates for your table Dresden runner (not yet quilted but I made it in super bright It's a Hoot colours). Love all the Traps and Happy St Patrick's day to you too!

Thimbleanna said...

You were REALLY missed! I hope this means that you'll be back more! ;-) It looks like you work in a really fun place -- especially on St. Patrick's Day!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Too cute! My little kindergarten Gracie said they found evidence of those mischievous little guys in their classroom too! How fun!

MGM

Pat said...

You forgot to tell us if there were any leprechauns in the traps this morning at school??? I'm hoping all the kids caught one!!!

Tracy said...

Ohhh my goodness, how fun is this. Can I come to your class ;)
The kids did an awesome job.
Loving those snacks.

Nancy said...

I love the traps. My great-niece is in first grade and made one too. I haven't seen her trap but I sent her a picture of a leprechaun I took when I was in Ireland. I'm anxious to hear what the other kids thought!

onlymehere said...

I've never heard of this before and it really looks like it was great fun for the kids! Thanks for sharing.

Laurie said...

Ahh Kim, the memories from last year when my triplet nephews were in first grade and made their trap. It appeared again this year, set up in the dining room, hoping this time to outsmart them. But alas, it didn't work! Love the work put into your kids traps, especially telling them to "trust me". Very cute!

Dora, the Quilter said...

How fun! I remember the "old days" when teachers and students got to celebrate in school. Now with all the pressure of NCLB it never happens in the schools where I've taught the last few years. How sad that improving test scores excludes the fun stuff.

Julie said...

I love them! Such creative kids.

Mary Ann said...

Thank you for sharing! I have a nine year old son and he would really have loved this activity. I will have to suggest a leprechaun trap to him so he begin planning for next year! Perhaps a Leprechaun Trap Cake to celebrate the day...? Thanks for the great projects! You are obviously a caring teaching.

Gigi's Thimble said...

Oh those are so cute!!

Kim I was literally thinking about you yesterday (?) or today (?) Wondering where you have been and if everything was o.k. in your neck of the woods. Hope all is well.

~Amber

Jo-Anne said...

How fun! :) Were there any leprechauns in the traps? I am dying to know!

I have missed you....hope all is well.
oxox
Jo-Anne

Material Mary said...

This is such a fun thing to do with St. Patricks Day. The children are quite imaginative.
Mary

Comfort Cove Designs said...

Looks like the kids had a great St. Patrick's Day!!!! What cute little traps!!!

You were missed!!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Mary said...

Hi Kim,
I have nominated your blog for an Award, One Lovely Blog because you do have a lovely blog. I hope you enjoy the award.
Take the button from my site and add it to yours. Check out the rules at the link below. I think 7 blogs is enough.
http://meandmyancestors.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html
Have fun.

Valspierssews said...

Love the leprechaun traps. Some kids are very creative!

Shari Knudsen said...

Kim it has been awhile since I have seen you. I came to the school Friday but I could not find you. Are you working with 1st grade now? Are you still helping with Josh? How are things going for you?

suz said...

Great imaginations!

Anonymous said...

Great Traps, fun project... and disgusting green food. Geeeessss I must be getting old.... but you know a picture of that plate posted on the frig might be a good deterrent to mindless munching. Thanks for sharing the fun !