Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Omigosh Quilt

My friends and I decided to pool our fabric and that way we'd get a lot more variety in our quilts. It's been a lot of fun playing with fabric but it took us about a week (on and off) to organize and cut out what we'd need to make this quilt. Here's a picture of some of the 1 inch strips that we've been cutting. It's really quite insane (LOL!) when you start to cut out the entire quilt at one time. But, I think in the long run it'll make it easier. I almost have the 440+ half square triangle squares sewn and I've started sewing strips together for the nine-patch and four-patch blocks.

I think the title of this quilt may be a bit understated! Especially after cutting out all of the fabric at one time. But, I'm up for the newest challenge and it's been fun working on "Omigosh." My quilt group started this quilt at the beginning of this year and I wanted to start it then but I had too much on my plate at the time with work, kids, & homework, etc.

Because of my unexpected surgery I'm also a bit behind on "Dear Jane" but I haven't given up. I just need to get school behind me and I have a graduate graduating from High School on Friday. After that I'm ready to put the pedal to the metal and accomplish something this summer!

I'm certainly not lacking in the list of things to do on my project list, it's just putting them in some sort of priority. At the top of my list right now is "Dear Jane" and "Omigosh" after these two quilts are done I think I will have earned some sort of endurance award for patience, diligence, stick-to-it-tiveness, and an "I DID IT" Trophy! LOL! I'm excited to keep at it! I've actually set my sewing machine up in my kitchen dining area so I can sew at any given moment. I want to utilize every possible fraction of time I can find. That's my #1 plan of attack! You have to have some sort of plan to attempt these two kinds of quilts. Don't you think?

I've included a few pictures of the components to the Shoo-Fly Block that also has a four-patch block on point. It's hard to conceive how small the blocks are until you make them. I laid the blocks on my cutting mat so you could see that the trimmed up four-patch block is just 2 inches and when it's sewn in on all four sides it finishes at 1.5 inches. That's practically INSANE!

Here's the completed Shoo-Fly block with the four on point four-patch blocks!

Unfinished the block measures just 5"x 5" and when it's sewn into the quilt it will finish at 4.5 inches. It's so darn CUTE! I can hardly stand it! It just makes me giddy to look at and it makes me that much more motivated to keep sewing and watch it all come together into a quilt. I've finished the double nine-patch block but I haven't taken pictures of it quite yet but I will post those pictures tomorrow if I get a minute.

3 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

Kim! I'm so glad you are feeling better. I did miss you last night. I took gobs of pictures so you can see the trunk show "virtually". I'll be posting them through the week starting tonight I think.

I'm slighlty behind on Dear Jane, too. But I haven't even done one Omigosh block. I haven't toally passed on the whole thing (yet) but I'm not convinced either. Its good to see your progress.

Jo-Anne said...

Very impressive work. I do look forward watching your progress on your fun blog.

Good luck with graduation this Friday. I hope you are back to feeling yourself again! :)

Happy Sewing!

Paul Sears said...

Your work is just beautiful! I'm going to forward your blog to my wife and her mom.