Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bitty Bowl of Pins Tutorial Part 3 & 4



Part 3 of the Bitty Bowl of Pins Tutorial.

Let's begin by cutting a 3/8" strip of silver metal.

The metal is a bit heavier than heavy tinfoil.
I just used a ruler and one of my older blades.
It cuts easily with no problem at all.


Then cut the 3/8" strip into 2" lengths.


Find the letter stamps for P, I, N, and S .

Line them up and tap letters on stamp pad and then stamp on a sticky note. This will be your stamping guide. Line the metal up with the stamped letters on the sticky note so that the letters fall in the center of the metal as seen in the picture below.


Now take the first letter P and lightly tap the top of the metal stamp with a hammer. You really don't have to hit very hard as the metal is very soft. You can practice on a piece of scrap metal to get a feel for how hard you will want to hit the the metal stamp. Continue the process with the remaining 3 letters, I, N, and S.


Using your rotary cutter (with an old blade) cut just a snippet of metal off each corner at an angle.


You have two choices for the metal rivots on each side of the PINS letters. On the original pincushion I used silver brads and an 1/8" hole punch as seen in the picture below.

Or you can use the a silver iRock gems. They are attached using the heated application tool as seen in the picture below.


The letters are made black by filling in each letter with a sharpie pen. Then rub off any excess with a scrap of batting.


Attach mini glue dots to the back of the metal sign.


Now attach the metal PINS sign to the porcelain bowl
Press and rub edges to mold the metal to the bowl.


Bitty Bowl of Pins Tutorial Part 4

Consists of gluing the pincushion into the bowl.

I used hot glue and applied it to the inside of the porcelain bowl and then pushed the fabric pincushion into the glue and did any quick adjusting before the glue set. Hold your hand over the pincushion and firmly hold in place until the bowl cools off.


Your Pincushion is now complete!

I do hope you enjoyed this little adventure with me.

Have a great week!

Here are the Links for Part 1 & 2


6 comments:

Val said...

This is so cute!!!

Amy DeCesare said...

Sooooo cool!!! I have one question...what do you use the letter T for, in the step where you tap the metal? I was confused about that part. I will have to try this...it looks easier than I thought it would!

Thimbleanna said...

Very clever Kim -- I espcially love that adorable little "Pins" tag!

Material Mary said...

Great Tutorial Kim. I'll have to give this one a go..
Mary

Bari Jo said...

This is so cute! :O)

antique quilter said...

your just so clever, this is adorable!!!!
thanks for sharing
Kathie