Friday, December 11, 2009

The Best Gift Ever!



If I could give each of you a gift for Christmas this year it would be the "Spirit of Christmas." If you watch the attached video you will understand my thoughts and feelings at this special time of year.

Get some tissue before you watch it though, it's a touching message and a sweet reminder of the meaning of Christmas. I also, want to send my love and best wishes for each of you. You have inspired me, taught me, made me laugh, given me comfort, encouraged me, supported me, and I have felt your friendship through the comments you leave. Thank you for always being positive and sharing your goodness. I strongly believe that we can help each other and support each other through our kind words and our kind deeds.

I was talking with a few co-workers today and I shared a few life experiences that have helped me become a better person (I'm still becoming). We were talking about life and not being judgemental. I believe that we all have enough challenges in our lives and so instead of passing judgement on one another we should take the higher road and give each other a hall pass and ask how can we help instead of turning our heads in judgement.

This is how I see it in my head . . .

Envision yourself standing on the edge of a cliff

You look over the edge and it's so far down that you know you wouldn't live if you were to fall.

Now imagine feeling the panic that would come as you feel yourself teetering on that edge.

You SCREAM for help and are relieved when you see someone coming to your aid.

Then suddenly, the person that comes to help you actually tries to push you off the cliff instead of pulling you away.

Have any of you ever felt this way? I have and it's so sad to feel someone judge you incorrectly instead of seeing past your differences and loving you anyway.

Well, I've told myself and reminded myself that I want to be the one that pulls a person away from the edge not the person who pushes a person over the edge. This holiday season let's all try to be more mindful of what we can do to help each other along our journey in life because as we go along the path we will find ourselves and others that may be hanging in the balance.

Remember there are. . .

Those that need a word of encouragement, not judgment.

Those that need a hug, not a shove.

Those that need lifting, not dropping.

Those that need a bit of sunshine, not a sour attitude.

Those that need a kind word, not criticism.

Those that need LOVE not HATE!!

Let us all be more Christlike this Christmas Season and into the New Year. Let's see how it can change our lives and the lives of those around us. May you have a joyous Christmas and Holiday Season with your family and loved ones.







P.S. Life has had me near the edge of late (too busy) and I'm managing my stress by hardly blogging and doing very little sewing. Just keeping things in perspective and enjoying the season. I hope you all understand my pathetic blogging lately and I hope to be able to make a few other posts before next week when we head off for the holidays with our family. I'm looking forward to the time away with my husband and my kids!!!

32 comments:

~Niki~ said...

Christmas is a hard time of year for me, personally, because I don't have my family around (mom and sister). I have my husband and kids, which is lovely, but I have a very small extended family that isn't very close. So the holidays are particularly hard on me and my sanity LOL. I am sending big hugs to you girl! ♥ hugs from arizona!

Sherri said...

Hope that things will go well for you and that you can have a joyous Christmas season. Thanks so much for sharing the video...I always try to keep an eye out for these but hadn't seen this one yet!

Trisha said...

I love your analogy. Beautifully put.

Susan said...

Thank you for such a thoughtful and heartfelt post, Kim. It's a rough time of year for me too, so your reminders are very much appreciated. Hugs to you!

Pat said...

This was a beautiful (and obviously heartfelt) post from you. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for us. I, too, have family situations that make the
Christmas season not be as happy as I feel it could (should?) be. It does create a stress......but I try to get beyond it for the family that is there and is supportive. Hugs to you as you go about your personal journey this holiday season.

Shari Knudsen said...

Thanks Kim. I was hoping you would not mind if I use some of your blog ideas in a YW lesson I have next week. I loved the little youtube clip. It brought tears to my eyes.
I know we get so occupied in our own situations to remember the important things. This little girl had the true meaning of Christmas.

Rae Ann said...

Kim, that was the Best Gift Ever! I love the message. It is true, the best gift is...The Spirit of Christ. Hope we will all take a minute to ponder this message and find Christ in our lives this Christmas Season. Hang in there and remember I always have hugs!!!
Love Ya!

Unknown said...

Yes, I think we all could benefit from heeding your advice. It is the season for giving and giving back. We should embrace the good in people and spread a smile when we can. You have inspired me too! Merry Christmas to you!

Suzanne said...

Beautiful post with a beautiful message. Love the clip -- it's the little ones that often remind us.
- Suzanne
justanotherhang.blogspot.com

onlymehere said...

Thank you for this post. It's beautiful. My husband was shoved over the cliff many years ago and stayed away from church for over four years. Words can't describe the pain this other person inflicted on our family by their careless words and actions. It's taken a long time but the Spirit of Christ is back in our home and (knock on wood) right now things are going well. I pray that things will work out for you also in the way you want them too. Thanks again for sharing this beautiful post. It's a good reminder to me to not be judgmental. Cindy

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Kim, I am so sorry you have been on the edge of the cliff, I wish I lived closer, to help you move away from the edge. I hope being with family will help you enjoy this Holiday season. Thank you for sharing.

Thimbleanna said...

A wonderful post Kim! I hope things will slow down a bit for you after the new year. And during the break, I hope you have some relaxing family time!

Shari said...

Hi Kim

Thank you for your beautiful message. I was talking to a young man today, a friend of my daughter's. He's probably 19 or 20. He was (badly) wrapping a few presents for his young cousin. He was talking about how excited they would be to open their gifts. I asked him how it felt to be giving, instead of being the child receiving. He said it felt pretty good. A little life lesson in the moment. Just wonderful. It truly is better to give, and build up, and love.

Have a wonderful time with your family. Enjoy every moment. We'll catch up in the new year, as time permits... people who are with you, in person, right in front of you, must come first, before blogging. We understand and strive to do the same... keep it real ladies!

Lots of love and hugs
Shari

Juliejaz said...

Thank you - I really needed that.

Mrs. Potts said...

Thank you so much for sharing that - it was exactly what I needed to hear.

Colleen Lunt said...

Beautiful video.

Nedra said...

Very wise words Kim. Always know that I'm behind you 100% in whatever you need right now. I count myself lucky to have you as a friend. And knowing your example, I'm sure your time is spent in SERVICE.
I like how Nanette put it when she knew she was too busy to post. She said she needed to take a "blog nap". I think those words need to be added to the blogging world terms.
Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family.

Diva Kreszl said...

thank you for sharing this lovely sentiment...a great reminder for us all!

~Laurie~ said...

Thank you for sharing this video - it's a nice reminder of our real reason for the celebration of this holiday. I love my Savior and am so grateful others know about him too! Thank you and Merry Christmas :)

Shari Knudsen said...

Kim, thanks I may use the precious little You tube clip also for my YW. You will have to tell me how to change my setting. I have no clue.

Gigi's Thimble said...

Thanks for sharing those thoughts. It's a nice reminder of how we're here to love and help each other. I appreciate the reminder! Don't worry about the lack of blogging. It's good to take breaks sometimes and focus on what is REALLY important. Happy Holidays!

Lori Holt said...

Thank you Kim...for sharing the beautiful message. But more importantly, thank you for sharing yourself...you are a beautiful, creative person Kim and I hope that you have a wonderful holiday time with your family:)
Lori

Anne said...

Amen Sister!

Gayle said...

Beautiful...simply beautiful!

Live Well With Judi said...

Kim: Thank you for sharing that beautiful message. I think we all start to feel pushed and pulled this time of year and what we really want to do is remember the reason we celebrate this season. This year I've tried to keep things a little more simple and I still have to keep reminding myself of my original goals. I wish you a wonderful Christmas with your family and no worries about a 'blog nap'. I've taken one myself! Hugs.

Kelly L. said...

What a wonderful message - thanks for sharing.

Kim D. said...

Merry Christmas Kim, nice message.. Christ is the reason for the season.

Micki said...

I Enjoyed your post so much! Merry Christmas to you!
Micki

Cindy said...

Simply, Kim, God bless you and yours. May He bring peace and health to all.

Paula said...

I am a knitter that is getting hooked into the world of quilting. I found your blog today through the Moda Bake Shop and have really enjoyed reading your posts. And I think you love red as much as I do!

Nanette Merrill said...

I am with you. That edge seems pretty close some time. What good advice.

amy smart said...

Hope you had a great Birthday, a great trip, and hope you have a great Christmas Kim!