Sunday, March 29, 2009
Saturday's adventures actually started on Friday night with a sleepover. At about 9:00 at night I get a call from Kenna asking if she can have a sleepover with her cousins. I said, "Sure" thinking she wanted to spend the night at their house. Well, she told me that this time she wanted her cousins to spend the night at OUR house. I'm thinking after a busy week that it might be okay to have ONE cousin but somehow we ended up with all three of them, Malea, Riley, and Brooke.
They all watched a new movie I picked up called BOLT and then they went to bed just before midnight. I thought. . . not toooo bad. I can handle this.
Well, the fun started the next morning at about 9:00am. They were all hyped up and ready to make NOISE and then I get a call from Natalie asking if I could take care of her two kids and knowing that she needed to get away I said YES. I do love spending time with my grandchildren.
So, I spent my day trying to clean around kids, fixing meals (six hungry kids) and playing outside. Benjamin especially wanted to be outside running around. He's been kinda stir crazy. It's been a very long winter for Natalie and the kids. They enjoyed running around and drawing with chalk on the pavement while my husband and I did a bit of yard work.
We then headed to the park in our neighborhood at about 2pm. I sat in the car for a little bit and reread the ending of Book Eight of the Deltora Quest Series. (I would highly recommend this book) while the kids played. Ben really loves the slide. We played until 4:30pm when I decided to take them to the local ICEBERG for ice cream, french fries, and food for those that would eat it. Ben was in heaven and enjoyed his ice cream cone and french fries.
After ICEBERG we headed to Kohler's to pick up Ariel's prescription and I let the kid's pick out a treat. Of course, they were happy about that. If you know kid's you know they picked out GUM. I picked out SKITTLES for Ben. They chew just like GUM so he's always happy with Skittles.
By the time we got home from our errands it was after 6pm and my DH Mark was just getting home from golfing with our Son Mark. They had a great day golfing. DH Mark came with me to drop off cousins, get gas, and take Benjamin home. Benjamin DID NOT want to go home and started crying. NO go home. No MOM and DAD! It was funny that he wanted to stay with us. I'm glad he enjoys being with us. We have lots of fun together.
Here are some pictures from ICEBERG.
Mark and I then went to dinner and planned on coming up to watch a movie until we had to pick up Kenna. Our plans were changed when we got a call from Kenna telling us she had fallen off the trampoline and her arm REALLY hurt and after my long day of playing with kids and cleaning that was the last thing I wanted to do but I did it anyway. I even did it with a SMILE!
Here are pictures from the EMERGENCY ROOM. Kenna was really nervous but did a great job waiting for Doctor's and X-Rays! I'm happy to report that there are no broken bones just bruised and injured muscles and ligaments. She'll have a sore shoulder and arm for a few days. She's sporting a really cute blue sling too. Ice packs and rest are recommended for a couple days.
Here are some pictures from the ER . . .
Here's McKenna the morning after her little ordeal. She's feeling much better but it's still hurting so we have ice on it for now. The doctor said it would be pretty sore for a few days but that she will be back to normal soon.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
The Winner of the Blogiversary Quilt is:
Anita in Florida
Thank you again to everyone who came to the PARTY!
It was soooo much fun!
This is the number that won:
Here are your random numbers:
Timestamp: 2009-03-25 13:13:42 UTC
Monday, March 23, 2009
I loved this pincushion so much that I made one for myself.
Not a surprise that I made it in Red, White, and Black, is it?
Here are a few sewing hints to make the Wildflower Pincushion:
This is what you'll need to make the Wildflower Pincushion.
Here's one of my Favorite Sewing/Quilting TIPS:
Do not cut out the individual petals. It is much easier to sew a larger piece of fabric with no bias than it is to sew the petal while turning it and keeping the petal pieces from shifting.
I used my 1/4" foot and lined up the outside edge of the foot along the inside of the traced line. Then sew the 1/4" seam.
Here are your pieces ready to assemble after you cut out the petals.
Here's another one of my tips:
Here are the pieces clipped, sewn, and ready to put together.
Once you assemble the pincushion you will partially sew on the bottom circle and then fill it with whatever you'd like to use. Then continue sewing the pincushion closed using a close tight stitch until done. I like to fill my pincushions with part silica sand and part fiberfill. You can use whatever works for you.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
What a FUN Surprise!
Thank You Jodi for this sweet gift.
I love it and will enjoy using it.
It was so cute I didn't want to open the box.
It was fun to find it in my mailbox.
Look at the bright and happy colors. Red, White, and Blue are another one of my favorite fabric collections. I have tons of Patriotic prints and that reminds me I better put the patriotic quilt I didn't finish last year back on my agenda of quilts to be done.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
I wanted to give all of you a Big HUG and THANK each one of you for all of the Well Wishes, the Presents, the FUN & GAMES, the Good Company, Great Desserts and the Wonderful Memories. I sure had a lot of fun celebrating my blogiversary with all of YOU and hope you had a bit of fun along the way!
Well, the last GIVEAWAY for my Blogiversary is pretty special and I wanted to save the best for last. So, here's my last Big SURPRISE!!!
I'm giving away a QUILT!
Yes, you heard me right. . . a QUILT!
Now, don't get too excited (I wish I could do more) it's just a small Table Quilt for both Spring and Easter. The quilt measures 32" x 32" and it's really cute and will look adorable sitting on your table with an Easter Basket in the center of it. I can see it now!
Read the instructions below for posting your comment for this giveaway. It's probably a bit different than you're used to. You can post a comment until Tuesday, March 24th at 12 Midnight after which time I will have Random.org do the honors of picking a winner. I will then let you by email if you've won the quilt. Good Luck Everyone!
Instructions for the Quilt Drawing: Please read carefully before posting a comment!
I've put a lot of thought into this and here is what I came up with. You each must count up your points, those points will become the number of entries you each will get for the quilt.
Here's what I need each of you to do. Look at the list below and do the math for me by adding up your points. I don't have time to do it for everyone and it could take me weeks of research. So, I thought it would be easier if those that want to enter the quilt giveaway were willing to do the math for themselves. Just remember to leave your number of entries when you post a comment. Thanks for your help!
- You get one point for each day you left a comment.
- You get one point if you won a prize.
- You get two points if you are currently listed as a follower.
- You get one point if you add yourself as a follower.
- You get two points if "Bitty Bits" is currently listed on your google reader.
- You get one point if you add me to your google reader.
- You get two points if you've made something from one of my tutorials.
- You get one point if you got all the questions right on the get to know me game.
- You get one point if you were in the top 10 favorite presents list.
- You get one point if you've already made the Coca-Cola Cake.
- You get five points if you blog about it on your blog.
- And you get two points because I appreciate all of you playing along!
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
The prize for day four is this adorable Wild Flower Pincushion.. I've been looking for a darling pincushion to make for my party and this fit the bill. You can click on the link above and it will take you right to Better Homes & Garden's website and the actual project page. You do have to sign up for their email newsletter to get the actual pattern part but it's cute enough to sign up if you want the pattern.
I was at Broadbent's yesterday getting some special (type of) sand to fill the pincushion I was going to make and low and behold I saw this, fell in love, and changed my mind a few times about which pincushion I was going to make. Isn't it just cute? It makes me feel like SPRING is actually coming soon!
I almost have it done, maybe tomorrow, so I'll post the actual one I made sometime tomorrow. The pincushion pictured above is from BHG's website. Sorry, life has just been a bit crazy at this week. I shouldn't try to blog during the week it's just a bit difficult with work and school and after school activities (lessons, homework, etc). I will post the big finale prize tomorrow after work sometime. Thanks for your patience with me.
I used Random.org to pick a winner. I've never seen it pick number ONE before.
So the WINNER of the pincushion goes to Cindy from Sew Cindy. Cindy has been my bloggy friend for some time now so I'm glad the prize is going to someone I know. Thanks, Cindy for being part of the celebration. Please send me your email when you can and I will get it in the mail this weekend.
Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:
Timestamp: 2009-03-19 03:45:25 UTC
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
You just gotta have Dessert at a PARTY! I sure love a GOOD Dessert and I can tell you like them too because of all the wonderful desserts that you brought to the party. Now it's time to eat, visit, and enjoy our time together. Aren't you glad that you can have all the dessert you want? You know it has ZERO calories too! So, eat up! Just don't go into the kitchen and make anything, especially if it's late at night. I don't want to be responsible for sabotaging anyone's dieting efforts.
Tell me what's your favorite kind of cake or dessert. The kind that you would make for a special occassion and you will be entered into today's giveaway. I love recipes too if you'd like to share.
My Sister-in-law gave me this recipe and I wanted to share it with you, it's one our family's favorite Chocolate Cake Recipes. Here it is . . .
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa
- 1 Cup Coca-Cola Soft Drink
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Mini Marshmallows
Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the butter melts. Remove from heat. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda in a large bowl, stir in butter mixture. Add eggs and stir until blended. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, and marshmallows. Pour into a lightly greased 9”x13” baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven; spread frosting over warm cake. Makes 12 servings.
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa
- 1/3 Cup Coca-Cola Soft Drink
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the butter melts. Remove from heat, stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and pecans. Spoon over the cake immediately.
A glass of milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream is a must have with the warm yummy chocolate cake. It's also really good the next day. I like to put it in the refrigerator and have it cold.
I'm sure you're wondering about the today's prize. Well, it's almost done but I ran out of time and energy for the night so you'll have to trust me that it's cute and that you'll just love it! I have to work in the morning and I won't be able to post it until tomorrow after work. Please forgive me but, I will get it done. Thanks for your understanding of LIFE!
I look forward to seeing what favorite desserts you make for your friends and family.
You've got to visit here to have a look.
Many Thanks to all of my bloggy friends that brought me presents. I absolutely loved every one of them. I was so touched by your thoughtfulness and generosity. You were all so creative and I really wish the gifts were real but, we know that it's the thought that counts the most! Thank you!
Here are 10 of my favorite gifts that were in the running for 1st place:
- Pat said, Okay...here's my present for you.....a happy helper who will work on each project with you and will do the parts that you find a bother. Don't like to measure out and cut the fabrics? No problem...she'll do it for you. Don't like to do the binding? She would love to do THAT for you, too. With her help, you only have to do the parts you find FUN!
- Kathy said, I am bringing you a friend that is going to do your housework and laundry for an entire day so you can do nothing but sew, sew, sew. If she gets all this done, she said she would even help you by pressing for you while you sew.
- Sherri said, So here is my virtual present...one I'd like to have as well...it would be the ability to just snap your fingers and have any fabric you wanted or needed appear...just like that...so anytime you see something on-line or on a blog...there it is right at your fingertips!
- Heather said, I would give you a special sewing machine needle that would never get dull, go through anything and never bend! I would give you a rotary cutter that would never dull, no matter how many layers you cut through. How about a pair a scissors that never needs sharpening!! And the gift of time! Time will slow down and let you get done all that you need/want to get done (epecially for all of us) Happy B-day!
- Trisha said, I would bring a stop watch, to allow you to slow down or stop time so you could finish up a WIP or new project that keeps getting pushed to the back burner, waiting for a quiet day to finish it up.
- Joanna said, I would bring you a personal chef and cleaning lady so that you could spend all your time quilting instead of cooking and cleaning! At least, that's what I would love :)
- Thimbleanna said, I'll be bringing a party in a box. All decorations in red, white and black of course. A big Happy Birthday banner, streamers, a few fresh flower bouquets for the tables, bowls of m&m's and peanuts, a brie wheel appetizer, little bitty bags with mini squares all neatly tied inside for giveaways for all the guests (I've learned from the master LOL) and of course, my Mom's best ever three layer chocolate birthday cake. (Oooh, and I won't forget the ice cream!
- Cynthia said, I love going to parties. The gift I would bring for you is something I would love. A featherweight sewing machine. OOOOOOOhhhhh, lucky!
- Sara said, Ah, my gift to you....1 very skilled, on call 24-hour cleaner our rooms/massager of sore muscles (from all that time you'll be able to spend sewing)/tamer of chaos helper bee. Not only will she/he keep you tidy and your muscles relaxed, he/she will financially support your sewing addicition and run all necessary sewing errands.
- Lori said, Since I am a vintage kind of girl, I would bring you a featherweight that has been custom painted RED just for you! Then I would probably bring my Hello Dollys and lemon squares in a really cute vintage pyrex dish, covered with an embroidered dishtowel. I would bring my apron collection for everyone to wear and we would all get a group photo to remember the fun we had at your virtual party!!! OMG that would be sooooo fun:)
Thanks again everyone for all of the wonderful gifts. I loved every one of them!!!
I'm a bit behind on my next post and giveaway so it might be pretty late tonight before I get it done. I'm making something fun and then I'll have to take pictures and then do a post. So check back a little later tonight and if you have me on google reader or you're one of my followers you'll know before everyone else. I must get to work but, first I have to take Kenna to her cousins for the rest of the evening.
Monday, March 16, 2009
It's time for some PRESENTS. . .
I was thinking today that I would love some virtual presents from each of you. Nothing expensive just a sweet comment telling me what kind of virtual quilt related present you're bringing to the party and then you'll be entered for today's giveaway. Thanks for playing along. I look forward to seeing what you're going to give me (remember, we're pretending here).
I'm so excited! Can you tell??? Bring on the Presents!!! *smiling with excitement*
I'm sooo Excited about this and I hope you just LOVE it!!!
Scroll down just a little more. . .
It's very special. . .
Do you Like it???
Hope so. . .
It's a sweet present for one of the lucky party goers. I was INSPIRED by the mini purse that I've blog about in the past (you'll see the tutorial on my sidebar) so, I designed a bigger mini purse (or gift bag) that holds a 5" Charm Pack with room for other things too. It's a great size for any little girl's birthday party or a sweet handmade gift for your quilty friends too!
The Bigger Bitty Bag is designed and made by me using Moda's new Patisserie Collection by Fig Tree & Co. I've included a 5" Charm pack of Joanna Figueroa's Patisserie Collection along with a handmade (by me) needlecase and tissue holder. You will also see a sweet treat that I've thrown in too.
P.S. You have 24 hours to post a comment and I will pick a winner tomorrow late afternoon.
Nobody picked the exact number but the closest to my number of 248 was Tozz who guessed 256 so she wins the itty bitty ditty bag along with all the other goodies. Thanks for playing along.
Today's activity will be posted shortly! Keep an eye out!
Here are the answers to the questions I asked. . .
1. What's my favorite color?
It's probably pretty obvious that I LOVE and ADORE Red, Black & White. Infact, most of the clothes in my closest are either Red, Black, or White. It's funny and quirky but, one of my most favorite things is a BRAND NEW White Shirt!! White goes so well with black and so does red.
2. What makes me happy?
Most of you got this one right because it's on my sidebar. Quilting makes me happy along with my family and my faith and a brand new white shirt! lol.
3. What kind of sewing machine do I own?
Many of you guessed that I owned a Bernina. But, some of you did your research and knew that I own a Viking Husqavarna and also knew that I owned three of them. My mother's old viking, my Viking Rose that my daughter Natalie uses and my current machine, the Viking Sapphire.
4. What other craft do I like to do? Name one.
Many of you got this one right. I love to scrapbook (but don't do it much anymore), make cards, and other paper crafts, along with stamping, painting, a little crocheting, no knitting (it's been a long time and I'm not sure I'd remember), embroidery, jewelry making, cooking and baking.
5. What kind of quilting do I enjoy doing?
I mostly consider myself a traditional quilter but I do enjoy and appreciate all types of quilting. I really enjoy applique and have several projects I need to finish. I tend to get behind on the prep side of applique. Once I prep things I'm pretty fast.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
I'm sure you know that you can't have a Party with out a few Party Games. . . Right? So here are two simple, yet fun games for you to play. I hope you're all having fun!
1. What's my favorite color?
2. What makes me happy?
3. What kind of sewing machine do I own?
4. What other craft do I like to do? Name one.
5. What kind of quilting do I enjoy doing?
c) paper piecing
e) all of the above
Another Surprise!! Here is today's Prize!
Congratulations to the Winner's of Day One!
Here are the two winners:
Comment#4 "Happy Cottage Quilter" will get to have first pick.
Comment#7 Declined and so I picked another winner see below.
Here are your random numbers: 4,7
Timestamp: 2009-03-15 07:24:50 UTC
I generated another number and the second winner is Comment #21 Linda from "All Stitched Up."
Here are your random numbers: 21
Timestamp: 2009-03-15 07:34:40 UTC
Remember to join me later today for some party games.
I will be posting sometime around 12 noon (MST).
Hope You Can All Come by and Visit!
See You at the Party!
Saturday, March 14, 2009
It's my 1st Blogiversary today and I wanted to share some love by having a few SURPRISE giveaways for all of my dear friends in blogland who have joined me in my quilting and crafting adventures over this past year. It's just been sooo much fun! Thank You!
The Virtual Party Starts Today!
March 14th through March 18th
Five Days of Giveaways!!!!
Please RSVP by posting a Comment.
You have until midnight tonight.
(you'll then be entered for today's Giveaway)
The Rules are Simple!
Please read all of the rules before entering. Thanks.
- You may post (1) comment to be entered for each day's giveaway!
- Please make sure I can contact you if you win. If not I will have to draw another name.
- You must come back each day there's a giveaway and post (1) new comment to be eligible for that day's prize.
- On one of the day's there will be certain requirements for the giveaway. You will understand when I make that post.
- You may post about my blogiversary giveaway on your blog but there will be NO extra entries for doing so. I'm so sorry for this but I don't have the time required to keep track of all the entries. I learned my lesson last time to keep it simple. One comment, one entry.
- Most importantly. . .Have fun!
I will pick two winners from today's RSVP's
You have until Midnight!